Career clusters get me flustered....

Monday, March 8, 2010

Oh my gosh, this is so nerve-wracking!! I basically am trying to decide what I want to do with my life starting tonight so that the classes I'm going to register for aren't going to be a waste. There are so so many things I love learning about (I'm kind of a nerd and I really do love to learn) but I'm going to stick with what I love, what I know, and what I'm good at. And that's English and Science.

So what should I pursue... a career in Marine Biology? Something I've loved and wanted to do since I was 2 years old? There's nothing about the ocean that bores me. I would LOVE to work with marine animals someday (the ultimate dream come true would be to be a trainer at SeaWorld!!) The question is though, what can I do with a degree in that? I don't want to write lab reports all day long which is what I know is like 80% of that job. I want to be out there doing field research!! So that is a little scary.

I also really love learning about cells and what falls under cellular biology. Ever since I took my first class about biology in high school, I've found that not only does that kind of thing come naturally to me, but I find it super interesting! I could see myself in a lab looking under a microscope all day! But then again, do I really plan on becoming a scientist and curing cancer? Maybe not. Eventually I want to be a mom, but I do want to help the world in one way or another.

Then, there's English. Something else that comes really natural to me, and yet I can't seem to find a career I'd be satisfying. Except for journalism. How AWESOME would that be to write for magazines!? Everyone says I should write for science magazines so I could have the best of both worlds! Oh jeez. I just don't want to throw away my love for science though. I want to be out there, learning with my hands, not my words.

So there I am. Stuck in a career rut that really hasn't even happened yet. I'm probably worrying more than I should. But. I just don't want to throw away my education just to pass the time until being a mom becomes my full-time career! I want to actually do something important ans impress myself! Aggh. I guess I just need to think about it a little more. Weigh the pros and cons. I wonder if I'm the only one who thinks like this! It seems like everyone else seems to know what they want except for me! But then again, being sure (NOT over-analyzing) has never really been my style... I'll keep you updated.

0 comments:

Post a Comment