L is for the way you look at people

Sunday, December 5, 2010

As I was thinking today about all the different things I've learned about, one keeps coming back into play: love. It's a pretty simple word, and really, it's simple to do.

I think one thing I've learned over this semester is to actually see people as people and learn to love them as the Savior would. I'm not saying it's been super easy, but just something I tried in the beginning and am continuing to work on. It's actually made my life so much greater and I've made so many more friends and great relationships than I thought I would! Every person deserves to be loved and respected, because every person is a divine design of my Heavenly Father and they are going through the same kinds of things that I am. It's so easy to be judgmental and critical of others. However, when I find myself attempting that, I just remember that I have no right, in my flawed self, to ever say anything negative about anyone! So I stop and actually get to know the person, and it's never failed me yet where I walk away having learned or gained nothing about that person. Everyone has something that they can teach me, and I hope that maybe there is something that I can teach them!

There is this book that I want SO badly for Christmas called "Love As a Way of Life" (who also wrote "The Five Love Languages"-also on my reading list, but later) and yes, it's mostly for people who have some sort of serious relationship going. BUT! It also is about developing and attaining qualities that make up a good person, basically. And I want to try to be the best person I can be! I just think life is too short and moves too fast for everyone to be so harsh and negative to each other! Why make enemies when you can make friends? It also came up in the Christmas Devotional from the First Presidency. That in love, you find the true meaning of Christmas. And in relief society today, Alex told us about an experiment that she got from Bobbi-every time she passed someone, she secretly thought of something she liked about them. Alex said that at first, it was little things like "Oh, I love her shoes!" but then, they started to turn into things like "Wow, she looks really confident! That is so cool!" and she started to notice that change in herself. That really struck me-how great is that?! She also said Bobbi became so overwhelmed after a while because she was finding all these amazing things about people she didn't even know! It was very cool. I hope to find those same things in myself. I love Christmas and the reflections and self-evaluations they bring. I can't wait to serve people and to go home and show my family how much I've missed them and love them! But. I will miss the people up here. I've learned so much and I hope they know that they've touched my life. Happy holidays!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww! I like the thing about thinking of something you like about someone each time you see them. I'm going to try that...

Post a Comment